Monday, February 21, 2011

Hierachical Data Format

What is HDF5?

Actually I was also wondered when I heard very first time that, there is a file format named HDF5. HDF5 stands for Hierarchical Data Format, a data model which is flexible enough to store any kind of complex data types in the form of binary tree with a support of almost everything of ACID properties for the databases. It works with nearly all operating systems as having open source binaries developed for the development platforms such as Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.

How Do I fell for it?

Hmm..., I think that was a great day and I should not forgot when one of my project requirement come to me where I need to implement/use a file format with which one can be able to read or write data simultaneously. As everybody's favourite 'Google' came to my rescue and I linked to this versatile file format. Being a slowest learner, I spent almost 2 months to understand the basics of this file format ;). And I managed to develop my very first program with which I could able to write some array data into the file. Actually, It was started with the building of HDF5 libraries to use them in my application. The latest release available for the HDF5 is Release Version 1.8.6. I started with the 1.8.2 and that also for C#. After understanding more needs of my project I realized that the API available with HDF5's dot net library are not enough for me to accomplish my job and I moved to C, the best choice for anybody want to try his/her hand in programming with some basic logic and understandings.




No comments: